September 1, 2004
NetIQ Survey Finds Small- to Mid-sized Businesses View Accurate Active Directory Content as Critical
Secondary Concern is Reducing the Number of IT Staff with Administrative Authority
SAN JOSE, Calif
NetIQ Corp. (Nasdaq: NTIQ), a leading provider of Systems & Security Management and Web Analytics solutions, today announced the results of an "Active Directory Management Tools" customer survey jointly conducted with a third-party vendor. Of the respondents, 95 percent said it was "important" or "critical" that an Active Directory management tool ensure that content is entered accurately within Active Directory because Active Directory is unforgiving to poorly formatted data.
The survey of approximately 100 small- to medium-sized businesses (SMBs) across industries such as healthcare, financial services, manufacturing and government, highlights the companies' priorities regarding Active Directory management tools. Additional key findings from the survey included the following:
- 39 percent of the SMBs surveyed said that tools that minimize the number of administrative staff are "critical" as they limit the number of users with full administrative authority. This may result in lowered risk and cost.
- Automating Active Directory management tasks was "important" or "critical" to 73 percent of respondents. In addition, 66 percent indicated it was "important" or "critical" to assign these tasks to the help desk staff. However, the majority of the SMBs surveyed said that it was much less important to delegate these tasks to end users.
- Overall, the survey found that Active Directory users require a centralized auditing and reporting tool, which is critical in complying with today's legislative regulations, such as the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
- According to the survey, Active Directory management tools that are available through the Web were considered "nice to have", but were not a priority to the respondents. In addition, 48 percent of the SMBs surveyed indicated it was not "critical" for a tool to support both Windows NT and Active Directory.
"SMBs do not have the luxury of hiring a large IT staff. They must rely on management products to free them of the less-technical, everyday tasks enabling a small staff to focus on the more technical and pressing issues," said Jim McGrath, senior director of Security Management and Administration Products at NetIQ. "NetIQ's Security Administration Suite is deployed to more than 12 million end users and has helped many SMBs use their IT staff's time more wisely while also helping to ensure that Active Directory data is accurate - the two biggest concerns of SMBs according to this survey."
"SMBs must do more with less," said Earl Perkins, vice president at the META Group, a leading provider of information technology research, advisory services and strategic consulting. "Mandates such as Sarbanes-Oxley and HIPAA require tighter access control, so leveraging Active Directory management tools that tighten up the security of their directory by reducing the number of administrators on staff helps SMBs to be efficient as well as meet compliance standards."
About the NetIQ Windows Administration Solutions
NetIQ provides the most comprehensive set of Active Directory administrative tools and migration solutions that enable users to maximize their return on Active Directory. NetIQ's Windows Administration solutions include the following products:
- Security Administration Suite: NetIQ's Security Administration Suite delivers a complete Active Directory and user management solution for an efficient and secure Windows environment.
- NetIQ® Group Policy Guardian™: NetIQ Group Policy Guardian delivers complete real-time monitoring and alerting for Active Directory Group Policies, enabling users to quickly identify, verify and track Group Policy changes while capturing changes in an auditing database.
- NetIQ® Migration Suite: NetIQ Migration Suite accelerates the transition between platforms while minimizing the impact on IT and user resources, saving users time and resources in migrating from Windows NT to Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003 and from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000/Exchange 2003.
- Secure Password Administrator™: Secure Password Administrator extends NetIQ's Directory and Resource Administrator™ to provide an agentless, web-based interface to allow end users to manage their own Windows passwords.
NetIQ Corporation (Nasdaq: NTIQ) is a leading provider of Systems & Security Management and Web Analytics solutions. Historically focused on the Windows management market, NetIQ now delivers cross-platform solutions that enhance business performance resulting in higher returns on infrastructure and Web investments. NetIQ product licenses are sold across all continents directly and through a network of authorized NetIQ partners and resellers. The company is headquartered in San Jose, Calif., with development and operational personnel in Houston, Texas; Portland, Ore; Raleigh, N.C.; Bellevue, Wash. and Galway, Ireland. For more information, please visit the company's web site at www.netiq.com or call 1-888-323-6768.
Copyright© 2019 Micro Focus Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Micro Focus and the Micro Focus logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Micro Focus Corporation in the USA. All other trademarks, trade names, or company names referenced herein are used for identification only and are the property of their respective owners.
Welcome, Want to talk to someone? Call our Sales team or request a call and we'll get right back to you.
- Sales: (888) 323-6768
For support information, please visit Technical Support.
Media and Analyst Relations