Ever had a hard time trying to make an LDAP query when you’re not really an LDAP expert? Having to remember all the parentheses and command syntaxes is a bit difficult, especially if the program you’re using has pre-defined queries for things other than eDirectory. Well, here’s a sneaky way to get a query built.
1. Login to iManager 2.6.
2. Click Groups > Create Group.
3. When you create the group, select the checkbox for: Dynamic Group.
4. After you finish creating the group, modify it and go to the Dynamic tab. (Or, you could always use a pre-existing Dynamic Group).
5. Find the Search Filter section and click the little icon that has the arrows on it. This is your friend, the Query Builder. From here, you get a nice GUI method for generating queries.
6. Generate your LDAP query.
7. Click OK.
You’ll notice that the Search Filter has now been updated with the query syntax that you can copy/paste into virtually any program for your LDAP query.
Disclaimer: As with everything else at NetIQ Cool Solutions, this content is definitely not supported by NetIQ, so Customer Support will not be able to help you if it has any adverse effect on your environment. It just worked for at least one person, and perhaps it will be useful for you too. Be sure to test in a non-production environment.