Table of Contents
eDirectory is an infrastructure component being used in many of the Novell products. eDirectory support GUI interface to Install/Upgrade on Windows.
This paper discusses the option of moving a database (DIB – Data Information Base) from the default location to a customized location in Windows.
Reasons for Moving DIB
- Insufficient disk space.
- Availability of new storage hardware.
- Creation of cluster environment, storage needs to have shared capabilities.
Applicable Versions of eDirectory
- eDirectory 8.7.3 SP9
- eDirectory 8.7.3 SP10
- eDirectory 8.8
- eDirectory 8.8 SPx
Applicable Versions of Windows
- Windows 2003 32-Bit
- Windows 2008 32-Bit
- Windows 2008 64-Bit
Steps for Moving the eDirectory DIB
- Take a backup of the eDirectory DIB using the NDS Install Utility from the eDirectory Services Console (NDSCons.exe).
- Shutdown the eDirectory Server from “Control Panel | Novell eDirectory Services”.
- Check whether all eDirectory connections are closed by running ‘netstat -na’ at the command prompt. To get to know ports of eDirectory server running on, open the “Novell eDirectory Services” icon in the Control Panel and select the “Transports” tab. By default, eDirectory server usually runs on TCP/UDP port 524.
- Copy the Novell eDirectory DIB directory structure to the new location (i.e. C:\NOVELL\NDS to D:\NOVELL\NDS). You can copy only the DIBFiles directory if desired, yet, it is recommended to keep all NDS related files together in the same directory structure.
- Modification of eDirectory services registry entry. Registry Editor (REGEDT32.EXE or REGEDIT.EXE) can be used to modify the entry.
Go to the following key of the registry:
Modify the string value from:
ImagePath=”C:\NOVELL\NDS\ndsserv.exe” /DataDir=”C:\NOVELL\NDS\DIBFiles” ds
ImagePath=”D:\NOVELL\NDS\ndsserv.exe” /DataDir=”D:\NOVELL\NDS\DIBFiles” ds
- Verification of Novell eDirectory changed server and DIB path. Open “Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services | NDS Server” – Prior to 8.8.5
“Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services | x86 NDS Server” – 8.8.5 32-Bit
“Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services | x64 NDS Server” – 8.8.5 64-Bit
and verify the path to the executable.
- Start the eDirectory Server from “Control Panel | Novell eDirectory Services”.
- You may need to run a local repair of the eDirectory database and select “Validate stream syntax files” and “Perform database structure and index check” to make sure eDirectory has no errors.