New features and fixes
Download older versions
The Generic File Driver is similar to the Text Driver shipped with IDM, but has more options, and has the capability to read virtually any file type. Out of the box, the following file types are supported in both read and write: XML, CSV and XLS (the latter using POI from Apache), and in read-only (since version 1.1): images(png, jpeg, bmp,…) and raw files.
Main differentiators to NetIQ’s driver:
- Produces and consumes regular NDS documents (no need for XSLT conversion).
- Accepts add, modify or instance documents on the subscriber channel.
- Auto-query back for missing attributes on modify commands.
- GCV (Ecmascript) for generating associations and source DN’s.
- Publisher channel processes files in a streaming mode. A maximum of 20 records are prefetched/buffered in memory (whenever support by the file type: CSV and XML).
- Publisher channel supports interruption (driver stop command) during file processing.
- Publisher channel can add metadata about the file or record processed (eg: record number, filename, last record indicator, etc).
The original version I wrote in 2007 is located at http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/18671.html. This update comes with an IDM 4 package making the installation simpler and has some new features and fixes (see below).
See the referenced version for a list of the initial features.
The attached zip file (GenFileDriver_1_1.zip) contains the installation documentation and all required runtime files.
All configuration options should have a good description. You can also find them back online.
New features and fixes
version 1.1, 17-JAN-2018 (package 0.9, sample config package 0.1)
- Shim feature: Added option to define sensitive attributes
- Shim feature: Added ImageFileReader and RawFileReader
- Shim feature: CSVFileWriter: added option to always surround fields with quotes.
version 1.0, 8-JAN-2017 (base package 0.8, Sample configuration 0.1)
- Shim feature: provided an uncompressed jar, so that the shim can be discovered by the Windows remote loader. See forum post. Thanks AB!
- Release bug: Version 0.9 release seemed to have failed to include some features/bug fixes. All 0.9 fixes and features should now actually be included.
version 0.9, 7-DEC-2015 (base package 0.8, Sample configuration 0.1)
- Shim bug: in certain conditions, doing a retry in the publisher channel on the first record of a file, caused the file not to be reprocessed when restarting the driver.
- Shim bug: forum issue with time limited subscriber files.
- Package feature: split up of package into base and sample configuration.
- Package feature: added Managed System Information Package as an optional package.
- Shim feature – publisher – new option to generate a log file for the publisher channel: every status message received as a result of a record, is written to a log file. Base package includes new configuration parameters.
- Shim feature – subscriber – added option to keep a local copy of the generated files.
- Shim feature – subscriber – changed file closing when maxRecordsPerFile is defined. Previously, when maxRecordsPerFile was set to n, the file was closed just before writing the (n+1)th file. New implementation closes the file after writing the nth record.
version 0.8A, 3-MARCH-2015 (package 0.7)
- Shim feature – general – reverted back to java 1.6 compatible ‘move file’ operation.
version 0.8, 14-SEPT-2014 (package 0.7)
- Package bug: fixed typo in example xslt template for XML publisher files. See forum thread.
- Technical – general refactoring of the shim.
- Shim feature – publisher – added option to remove old publisher files. Disabled by default for backward compatibility.
- Shim feature – publisher – added option to disable the publisher channel.
- Shim feature – publisher – added additional options in the command to generate (“Dynamic Input based” and “Delete”)
- Shim feature – subscriber – added option to disable the “max number of records in generated files” by setting it to 0 (zero).
- Shim feature – subscriber – when a modify command is ’empty’ (=all fields defined in the schema are missing), but the content indicates that the output file should be closed (eg: the file close field is set to true), no query back is performed in order to add a record to the output file. It is assumed that the only purpose of this modify command is to close the output file.
- Shim feature – general – added option to replace illegal ECMA script characters in field names (eg for calculating the association). Disabled by default for backward compatibility.
- Shim feature – general – added option to include the driver’s ECMA script libraries into the shim (for complex ECMA script operation). Disabled by default for backward compatibility.
version 0.7b, 14-MAY-2014 (package 0.6)
- Shim bug: case issue with the new configuration parameter to configure the command generated on the publisher channel
version 0.7, 07-MAY-2014 (package 0.6)
- Shim bug: specifying no encoding on the XML reader caused an Exception (see also this cool solution post)
- Shim feature: added option to configure the command generated on the publisher channel (add, modify or dynamic).
- Package bug: xml and xls file readers had invalid class names (see the same cool solutions post)
- Package feature: changed xls entry field to multi-line
version 0.6, 28-FEB-2014 (package 0.5)
- Shim/package feature: Added configuration parameter to use Quartz scheduler to close subscriber generated files using a cron-like expression string.
- Shim feature: Added slf4j binding (separate jar) for Idm tracing, allowing Quartz logs to be shown in idm trace files.
- Shim bug: possible NPE when the publisher folder becomes unreachable (eg due to network outage).
- Shim feature: Added option for every strategy to receive driver shutdown notification by implementing IShutdown.
- Shim bug/feature: Return an empty instance document when we receive an associated query on the subscriber channel. Reason: support of the merge attribute filter rules in case of a ‘sync’ event.
version 0.5, 21-JAN-2013 (package 0.4)
- Shim bug: Fixed an issue wrt the driver not adding the metadata on the publisher channel.
version 0.4, 24-APR-2012 (package 0.4)
- Shim bug: Fixed an issue with the driver schema (appeared to be hard coded).
- Shim feature: Added beta support for query back. Query back only supported on publisher channel (when reading in a file). Feedback welcome.
- Package bug: Fixed an issue that caused the driver configuration not to be imported when the package was imported.
- Package bug: Changed creation policy from validating the Given Name to validating the Surname.
- Package feature: Added package ‘Delimited Text Driver Password Synchronization Package’ as an optional package for this driver.
- Package feature: Added remote loader prompts to the package.
version 0.3, 12-OCT-2011
- Shim feature: automatic association and src-dn calculation (using ecmascript in the driver configuration). No longer need for style sheets for just creating association and src-dn values. The driver shim now does this for you.
- Shim bug: fixed missing remove-all-values on the publisher documents.
- Shim feature: added the ability (csv output files) to flush the file buffer after every record written (useful for when you are developing/testing your driver).
- Shim feature: when receiving a modify event on the subscriber channel, the shim will query back for all missing attribute values in order to be able to write a complete record (no need for a stylesheet to query for missing attributes and keeping this stylesheet in sync with the schema).
- Shim bug/feature: the subscriber channel now fully support add, modify and instance events. Instance and add events are assumed to contain all data and do not perform a query back. Only the modify event performs a query back
The latest version can be downloaded on the top of this page. If you are looking for an older version, the following versions are still available for download here: